Working with Care Providers

Part 2: Accessing a Care Home

Accessing a care home can appear like a major undertaking to care partners. The information below will give you more tools to navigate the health system.

From the beginning of this program, we have encouraged you to get organized by ensuring you had conversations with your person with dementia to know their wishes. We also encouraged you to ensure a Personal Directive and an Enduring Power of Attorney document were completed. This is the time you will need to use these documents to help you make decisions. Use the wishes of the person to guide you.

You will hear a lot of different terms used by health professionals. Click on the following link to learn the common words and their meaning via the Continuing Care Glossary:

How to?

In Alberta, Supportive Living sites can be accessed through Continuing Care services. This includes long-term care. You may already be connected with Continuing Care if you are receiving Home Care.

Anyone can call to start services and determine what you are eligible for.

Find out more information here:

The first step is to get connected with a Case Manager. This is a health professional who will assess the needs of the person with dementia as well as the care partner’s needs. They also handle the application to supportive living sites. If the person living with dementia is currently in hospital, the transition coordinator will be involved with the application.

Find out more information here:

Where to?

With the help of a case manager, the needs of the person living with dementia will steer you towards the type of accommodation to look for.

Find more information about Continuing Care Services here:

Alberta Health Services has a Continuing Care Facility Directory that can help you narrow down your search.

You can access more information here: